Where it all started....

Well, it started many years ago at a company called RPS. The company name changed and so did mine in 2001. From there, the road led us to the ATL and our own business. I left the road to have babies, but it sure is hard to take the trucker out of a Momma!



Thursday, March 15, 2012

Like a GIRL wouldn't know

I was on a mission to find a new used truck for our Ball Ground, GA route.  It is a high miles, rough road route!  Our current truck has 295,000 miles on it and does over 200 miles a day.  We have looked up and down and all around.  I know trucks!  I know way more than I care to let on!  Talked to a guy from Rhode Island.  He knew nothing about the trucks he was selling and was almost in shock when I asked him if the king pins were original or had he replaced them in the 145,000 miles he had owned the truck.  Since he was not real sure, I took it as a no and told him thank you for your time!  Talked to another guy out of S. Florida.  Asked him the same question, although his truck had fewer miles (but not by much).  His reply, "Of course, every 5K miles."  Again, thanked him for his time and thought IDIOT as I hung up!  So much for a used truck with a private sale. Onto the market place I went.  Found MAG Trucks, which is an authorized FedEx Ground vendor.  They take old leased equipment from linen companies and retrofit the trucks to FedEx Ground specs.  Sounds great!  They have limited inventory, so I put a deposit down and waited.  In the meantime, I found a local truck made some calls and was schooled on truck values.  Why these trucks are worth so much and hold or GAIN value is beyond me (except of course for the New Hampshire piece of SHIT that we own which we can't get anyone to touch for $14,000).  Finally, I got a call yesterday and they are getting a truck in and we are all over it!  2007 with 52,640 miles on it!  None of the fancy electronic bullshit that the new ones come with.  None of the CA emissions junk that makes for something else to have to worry about fixing.  Just a plain truck to deliver out of! I am one happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment