Where it all started....

Well, it started many years ago at a company called RPS. The company name changed and so did mine in 2001. From there, the road led us to the ATL and our own business. I left the road to have babies, but it sure is hard to take the trucker out of a Momma!



Friday, March 30, 2012

A week back with Diesel Exhaust and Cardboard

Monday, the husband suffered an injury that changed the face of Brown Dog Trucking, Inc. for the rest of the week.  Somehow, he tore a stomach muscle and was bad off!  We have always had our contingency plan in place and I have always made sure I kept my DOT physical current.  It was a good thing, too!  (My physical shape is a different story and we WILL NOT go there!)  I was back in the saddle again and he was home watching Talk TV, eating bonbons, and yelling at kids!!

It was good for both of us, given the bad circumstances and negativity he felt about me not giving him a choice but to heal.  He realized how crazy a 4 and 3 year old can drive one person (and he was on some good drugs when he didn't have to drive them anywhere, which was a good bit of the time)!  I realized the many issues our business faces daily in reality and gained some confidence back that I could do it if push came to shove.  Here are The Rantings for the week I experienced in no real order:

*People in the ATL drive like freaking idiots and that was just on the way from Dallas to Kennesaw at 5:30am.  Seriously...if it requires a bob, weave and cut-off like a football drill to get to work, LEAVE EARLIER so my insurance rates can go down stupid people!  I was driving the Chester Molester white van to and from FedEx each day (and it does have some identifiers saying FedEx Ground) but was shocked by others driving company labeled vehicles like complete assholes!!  Shame...Shame!

*My husband does not know how to turn off a single light.  We could not survive if we traded places for a year, because our electric bill would put us under!  I turned on the front porch lights each morning so I would not die on the way to the Chester Molester Mobile.  They were still on when I'd get home, as well as all lights on the first floor, in the basement and in at least one of the kids rooms!  Why?!?!  

*We have some great employees and I really appreciate their efforts.  A little Chick-fil-a goes a long way in showing someone you care!

*When you spend all your time with your kids, you become kind of immune to enjoying every minute.  When you are not there for every event for a week, the time you are home becomes very special.  I need to take this lesson into consideration and enjoy every minute all the time!!  It was actually tough to miss the Easter Egg Hunt they had at school today.  I have not missed an event at school yet.

*Driving a BIG truck is just like riding a bike:  Don't do it for awhile, just hop back in and it all comes back to you.  I have to admit, getting out of the building was a little rough that first morning, but it was a 6 speed truck that was not ours and did not have a back-up camera, plus it was wedged in like a sardine!  After I was rolling, it was all good!

*I need to keep my work at the gym up!!  I enjoyed being back in the mix and while I am not wanting to go back full time, I need to make sure I can do it again when needed!

*My daughter is a drama queen even if I am not home!  I thought it was just an act for me, but the truth came out for Daddy on day 2.  She wanted to wear a dress to play in the yard!  Daddy did not know how to fix hair to match a pretty dress.  Her shoes must match and even though she is to put her shoes away, it was Daddy's issue to make sure the right shoes were found so she could go out of the house.

All in all, we made it and life moves on!  Tomorrow is a new day and next week a new week.  Hope the back is better so I can sleep in soon and retrain my kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment