Where it all started....

Well, it started many years ago at a company called RPS. The company name changed and so did mine in 2001. From there, the road led us to the ATL and our own business. I left the road to have babies, but it sure is hard to take the trucker out of a Momma!



Saturday, March 24, 2012

Trying to grasp this whole new learning thing

I am sure that there are people out there that are way smarter than me, your college educated trucker turned Momma.  I am sure these people have conducted endless research to come up with the new ways to learn, but the new ways leave me confused as a parent.

I watched a friend's kids in our date-night swap tonight and before the older daughter went to bed, I was informed we had to do her site words.  "OK great!  Let's do this!"  Of course, my daughter is a year younger pre-school wise and I had no real idea what site words were.  They are just what they sound like, one word on each card.  WHAT?  That isn't how I learned to read!  I learned to read by sounding shit out and learning those crazy I before E except after C sayings!  Now kids just learn words and phonics are not as big.  Humph!

So, I did what I usually do and turn to Google.  (Of course, there is way to much freaking info to be found and I am not sure if North is really North anymore!)  By far, the most informative thing I read is that both old school and the new version need to co-exist to help kids excel!  Here is the link I read:

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/education/reading_genie/overview.html

Now, what am I going to do when I discover that I have no clue about that new crazy way they teach math?!?!

1 comment:

  1. math is freaky too!!!! they still do phonics site words are words they will see often that they can recognize like off, up, of. Phonics is crazy too cause K and Ca sound the same... English is just crazy talk!

    ReplyDelete