Where it all started....

Well, it started many years ago at a company called RPS. The company name changed and so did mine in 2001. From there, the road led us to the ATL and our own business. I left the road to have babies, but it sure is hard to take the trucker out of a Momma!



Thursday, May 2, 2013

Chicken woes....

So, this past fall something was getting into our coop and making off with chickens.  We shored the coop up, filled in all the uneven ground around the run, and put an electric fence up on the outside to keep the perpetrator at bay.  We did loose 3 of our best layers and the others were so scared!  The whole thing made our remaining girls go into a stress molt.

Winter came and I do not believe in a light to get them back on a laying schedule.  I figure, let nature be nature.  I sucked it up and bought eggs from the farm where we buy milk.  Time change came and our 2 replacements (beautiful Java hens) started laying.  The old 3.....nothing.  So, I placed an order for 6 chicks to arrive in April.  Guess who got wind of their approach to the soup bowl?  Suddenly, the girls kicked back into production.

It was too late to cancel our chick order, so I have started construction of a new coop to hold all 11 girls.  I looked at pinterest and got many ideas from others and their creations.  The most helpful blog was, The Henning House:

http://henninghouse.com/2011/05/building-the-chicken-coop-henhouse-part-1/

I changed a thing or two that he has done so far and have included a peel and stick laminate floor.  Here are some progress picture before the floor:





My ground area where I decided to build was pretty uneven.  I decided to use the poured blocks made to accommodate 2x4's.

I framed under the floor with 16 inch spacing between my boards and then put the floor down.

The girls watched closely to make sure it was all up to spec!






And then look who showed up just 2 days ago!  I guess I better get back to building so they can have a home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment